The Electricity Authority has published Guidelines on arrangements to assist vulnerable and medically dependent consumers.


A domestic consumer is considered vulnerable if:

  • for reasons of age, health or disability, the disconnection of electricity to the domestic consumer presents a clear threat to the health or wellbeing of that domestic consumer; and/or
  • it is genuinely difficult for the domestic consumer to pay his or her electricity bills because of severe financial insecurity whether temporary or permanent


A medically dependent consumer is:

A domestic consumer who is dependent on mains electricity for critical medical support, such that the loss of electricity may result in loss of life or serious harm. For the avoidance of all doubt, medical dependence on electricity could be for use of medical or other electrical equipment needed to support the treatment regime (e.g. a microwave to heat fluids for renal dialysis or equipment such as Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine, Nasal Continuous Positive Airways pressure machine, Non-invasive Ventilation (NIV) Bi-level Positive Airway Pressure (BiPAP) machine, Oxygen concentrator, Renal dialysis – Automated Peritoneal Dialysis (APD), Renal dialysis – Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD) Renal heamodialysis machine, Total Parenteral Nutrition, Ventilator, Ventricular Assistance Device and other equipment.


To notify us that there is a vulnerable or medically dependent consumer in residence at the property please call our Customer Services Team on 09 302-1500 or 04 477-1500 to advise us.

We will record you on our Vulnerable and Medical Dependency Register and as long as you are on this registry your power will not be disconnected for reasons of non-payment for electricity.

If you consider you are a vulnerable or a medically dependent consumer and you are unable to pay your electricity account you may be asked for verification from a general practitioner, a budgeting agency or Work and Income New Zealand (if you are a beneficiary).

If in the future you could become a medically dependent consumer you may advise us by requesting your medical practitioner complete the Medical Dependency Form detailed below and posting it to us.


If you are dependent on electricity for critical electrical medical equipment please download and print the Medical Dependency Form, complete it with your medical practitioner and post it to us. We will reimburse you reasonable costs of up to $65 if the form confirms your Medical Dependency. Alternatively you may provide us with a signed letter from your health professional of your medical dependency or potential medical dependency.


You can pay us by any of the following methods:

  • by posting a cheque to Bosco Connect, P O Box 9601, Newmarket, Auckland 1149
  • by depositing funds into our ASB bank account 12-3113-0127212-00. Please ensure you use your account number as a reference. All monthly accounts have a pre-coded deposit slip at the bottom of the invoice.
  • by giving us your credit card number and consent to charge your invoice to your credit card.
  • by completing a direct debit form and authorising us to debit the due amount directly from your bank account.
  • by Internet transfer from your bank account
  • by regular automatic payment of a fixed amount
  • by requesting your employer or Work and Income to make weekly or fortnightly automatic bank payment of an amount that will cover the likely monthly account


If you believe that at some time in the future you may have difficulties with your payments or with communicating with us, you may provide one or more alternate contacts who have agreed to assist if a disconnection or payment issue is pending.

Please advise us when there is no longer a vulnerable or medically dependent consumer in residence at the property. We understand that financial difficulties can affect any of us at different times, for many different reasons. This could make it hard to pay your power bill.


If you are finding it hard to pay your power bill there are several things you can do:

  • You can ask family and friends for help.
  • You can ask your church or other community group for help
  • You can call Work and Income on 0800 559 009 to ensure you are receiving all your entitlements
  • You can call a budgeting advice service


Here are some budgeting services:

Citizens Advice Bureau

Central Auckland 09 302 3676

Eden/Albert 09 846 4023

Grey Lynn/Ponsonby 09 376 0392

International Students Service 09 309 3478


Other help and advice

Associated Budget Consultants Network 0508 22 22 83

Auckland Central Budgeting Services 09 631 5572

Auckland Christian Care Budget Service 09 298 8536

Auckland Family Works Northern

PSN Budget & Money Management 09 838 1426

Auckland Student Financial Service (Auckland University Of Technology) 09 921 9999 - Auckland

NZ Ethnic Budgeting Services Trust 09 834 3668


If you are unable to pay your electricity account you should notify us on 302-1500. Please download and complete the Financial Hardship Form in PDF format and post it to us at: PO Box 9601, Newmarket